This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Assessment

mole
Self Assessment

Postby mole » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:52 pm

I have submitted my own Self Assessment the last 5 years as I receive a dividend payment each year, as a company director. However, in 2015 I purchased a BTL with my wife, and thus need to include it in my SA due in Jan '17.

Due to some refurbishments on the flat when we bought it, I think any profit would be negligible. If it turns out we made no profit, can I just ignore it all together and only include it in my SA when it starts making a profit (of course carrying any losses across from previous year). Do the HMRC just trust that you are telling the truth and if for whatever reason you are investigated then all I need to do is produce receipts etc. to show we made no profit?

I am toying with getting an accountant to do my tax return going forward but hardly seems worth it for the first couple of years owning the property is there were no profits...

Lee Young

Re: Self Assessment

Postby Lee Young » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:06 am

if you have not made a profit you will have made a loss and this can be carried forward to claim against the profit when you do make one, so yes you should include it either way
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Return to “Property Taxation”