This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Registering & Transferring To New Company

Musicman79
VAT Registering & Transferring To New Company

Postby Musicman79 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:33 am

Hi all

I'm a freelance/self employed music writer/producer. I haven't yet reached the VAT threshold but I'm considering registering in order to claim back the VAT I have paid over the last 4 years on equipment. I would then like to set up a limited company and transfer the VAT registration over to the new company to continue to reclaim VAT on business purchases. The majority of my clients are VAT registered music companies who will happily pay VAT in addition to my fees/royalties.

My questions are:

- Is it possible to register for VAT and then transfer the registration over to a new company?

- Once the new company is set up can I also continue to work self-employed for the minority of my clients who aren't VAT registered so I don't have to charge them VAT?

Thanks very much for your time and expertise

les35

Re: VAT Registering & Transferring To New Company

Postby les35 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:15 am

Answering question 2: you cannot have a registered company for registered clients, and a sole trader for unregistered clients. That is 'disaggregation,' a common target for HMRC.

Musicman79

Re: VAT Registering & Transferring To New Company

Postby Musicman79 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:28 am

ok that makes sense, thanks for the info

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”