This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Employed

Skylark
Self Employed

Postby Skylark » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:22 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of going self employed as a HGV driver and i was just wondering :-

Would i register a business as a LTD or SOLE ?

How do i go about paying ax, or working if out each month to pay ?

All new to me so please be easy :D

pawncob

Re: Self Employed

Postby pawncob » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:50 am

With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Skylark

Postby Skylark » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks for getting back in touch, i would say i am self employed, as i work for myself, as and when, and can be for different companies.

So would i go as a LTD ?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:40 pm

[So would i go as a LTD ?
Then you would not be self-emplloyed. You would work for LTD.

RMC

Postby RMC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Why do you want to do self-employed or work through a Ltd company? This is called ‘false self-employment’ and generally speaking puts you at a disadvantage. You’d lose all your employment rights – to Sick Pay and holiday pay, not to be unfairly dismissed, statutory paternity pay, workplace pension, payments if you are temporarily laid off etc. Presumably your employer offers a large pay increase to compensate for that?

But if you insist, go self-employed, trading through a Ltd company is too complicated and can be costly.

Skylark

Postby Skylark » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:12 am

Good Morning,

Many owner driver companies like drivers self employed for this reason, as when work goes south they can pick and choose when they need you, which to be honest i don't mind.

But i am unsure which to do to the best advantage for myself, that's the reason i have asked, going ltd would it be more tax i would have to pay as well ? and if i went sole could i change to ltd further down the line if needed ?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:37 pm

It can be tax efficient to use a LTD, but there are certain responsibilities that come with it.

Generally S/E is better suited to your trade, but an argument could be made either way.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

RMC

Postby RMC » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:05 pm

You will need an accountant to prepare your tax returns, computations and, in case of a company, do PAYE reporting. Ask him or her for advice. If your main worry is saving tax, best if you incorporate.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:50 pm

If your main worry is saving tax, best if you incorporate.
In a small business, the tax saved will be eaten up by the additional costs.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:57 pm

There is no "One size fits all" answer to S/E v Ltd. You need to sit down with a professional and crunch the numbers with him. In particular, the new dividend tax from 6/4/16 has thrown a hefty spanner in the works of what was, historically, a simply calculation. Now, more attention has to be paid to your own needs, expenses to be paid, possible company structure etc.

Return to “Business Tax”