This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Considering registering a village hall for VAT

nakruseuk
Considering registering a village hall for VAT

Postby nakruseuk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi all,

I have recently become a trustee of the charity that controls our local village hall. The hall is not currently VAT registered but has spent circa £250k on repairs in the last year following the collapse of it's roof. If we registered the charity for VAT could we claim back the input VAT for the last year and I assume we would have to start paying output VAT from the date of registration ?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

les35

Re: Considering registering a village hall for VAT

Postby les35 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:07 pm

You could consider this option. But, you would probably need to 'Opt to Tax' to allow you to charge VAT to user groups, most of whom would not be able to reclaim the VAT. You would also not be able to deregister for VAT for at least 20 years.
But, it just might be worthwhile. I have done it before for VIllage Halls, with substantial savings.

nakruseuk

Postby nakruseuk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you for the response

nakruseuk

Postby nakruseuk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Many thanks
You could consider this option. But, you would probably need to 'Opt to Tax' to allow you to charge VAT to user groups, most of whom would not be able to reclaim the VAT. You would also not be able to deregister for VAT for at least 20 years.
But, it just might be worthwhile. I have done it before for VIllage Halls, with substantial savings.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”