This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Minimising Tax on a new build development

propertyguy
Minimising Tax on a new build development

Postby propertyguy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi

I am looking for guidance here and ultimately to engage an accountant that can advise me on a fee basison the best structure to minimise taxation. Here is my scenario.

I am planning to start a residential property development of 10 new houses which has a projected sale value (GDV) of £3m. I am anticipating my total costs to be £2m, this includes, land, materials, labour and all other fees / interest. So for simplicity the Gross projected profit will be £1m. My personal taxation situation is that I am a higher rate tax payer, UK resident & domicile.

My understanding of the best way forward is to form a limited company with myself as 10% shareholder and sole director. I would then aim to close the limited company when all the sales are complete, I am anticipating this will take 14-18 months from start to finish. My understanding is that I will have to pay 20% corporation tax on the profits. so 20% of £1m = £200k. I then will be able to exit the company (by voluntary wind up?) and claim entrepreneurs relief and pay 10% on the gain = £80,000? So my totaly taxation on £1m gross profit will be £280000 or an effective rate of 28%.

Can anyone give any guidance of there is a better way to structure this?
What about claiming back VAT during for the materials or contract payments?

Thanks in advance.

propertyguy

Return to “Property Taxation”