This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation on Company vehicle-Advice please

sq1479
Taxation on Company vehicle-Advice please

Postby sq1479 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi all, a brief discription on my situation. Prior to April I was in a position where I had a company van, of which no personal use was permitted. And fuel was supplied by the company via a private on site fuel pump (the company bulk buy their commercial fleet fuel). Post April I gained promotion, though salary hasn't gone up to a higher band, as I am still in training. My current post will come with a car when my salary increases to the correct grade. However at the minute I had to give up my commercial vehicle over to the person who took on my old role, and was told that as I am not on higher pay grade I cannot go onto the company car scheme, and in the interim the company hires in a car from a carhire supplier. And as it is a hire vehicle, I cannot fill up from the pump, but instead claim back business milage at a rate of 10p a mile. Which just about covers the actual business mileage I do. I have been treating the car like the van I had and only using it for work purposes. Using my own car for personal use. I have now learned I am insured to drive for business and personal use and should be paying tax for a company car, I've been looking on HMRC site and only can find some calulator which needs car value, fuel allowance, CO2 level etc..and some sort of salary sacrifice scheme. Non of which I can answer. As the car hire company keep swapping the car every 6-8 weeks and have different make and model each time. My current salary is around 45k approx. Can someone please help and possibly predict what kindbof bombshell the tax office will drop on me.

pawncob

Re: Taxation on Company vehicle-Advice please

Postby pawncob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Talk to your employer and get them to agree an average vehicle with HMRC. That at least quantifies the tax charge.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

sq1479

Postby sq1479 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Thanks, what's the score with tax on fuel? I claim back business mileage at 10p a mile, and pay for personal mileage myself.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks, what's the score with tax on fuel? I claim back business mileage at 10p a mile, and pay for personal mileage myself.
10p per mile is within HMRC guidance rates

sq1479

Postby sq1479 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:23 pm

How are you taxed on this, i notice its a non taxable payment on my payslip.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:25 am

It's not taxable. It's a reasonable reimbursement of the cost of fuel you have purchased.

Return to “General”