This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Worried: Inflated my current salary to recruitment agency

vrealm
Worried: Inflated my current salary to recruitment agency

Postby vrealm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi All,

I was contacted by a recruitment agency responding to some role I have applied for. The agent asked me how much was I was on. I inflated my salary to the agent by about 11K. He put me forward for a role with which I had to go through a 3-stage interview process. I demonstrated my skills which I have and I am confident about, and I am ready to deliver any day any time. They gave me an offer because they believe my skill set is right for the job. Btw, it's a software development role so I know what I am talking about else the two lead developer I went through will figure I don't have the skills, but they were very impressed with my skills and i've had had programming sessions and review during the interview.

The interviewers like the skills set I have and the company has offered to bring me on board and the rate i am offered is 59% my current rate. I am being underpaid in my current role and my skills out pace what I am being paid plus I am not happy really working in my current role not because of the money I make, but because what I get to do on a daily basis will not make me grow and learn new things, but rather work on things that are irrelevant to today's best practices.

My worries now is that The P45 which I will get from my current employer will show I earn way less than in my current role. What should I do in this situation?

NB: The company/Interviewers never asked me about my current salary, and we never talk about salary during all the interview process. I only discussed this with the agent initially before he put me forward and I believe he must have told them that figure. In the end, the agent will get his commission

I have not given notice at my current place of work.

Should I worry about this? I don't want to start off as a lair and someone that can't be trusted, but I deserve the pay and even more, but willing to work my way up.

pawncob

Re: Worried: Inflated my current salary to recruitment agency

Postby pawncob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Why accept a job at 59% of your current pay?
Don't pass the P45 to your new employer.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

jason13

Postby jason13 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:21 pm

As pawncob says you don't have to pass on your P45. But if you do and they ask, you could always say you used salary sacrifice to pay into a pension.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:28 am

As pawncob says you don't have to pass on your P45. But if you do and they ask, you could always say you used salary sacrifice to pay into a pension.
Good idea. Tell another lie.

Just don't hand your P45 in. Tell HMRC that you do not want you provious pay disclosed to your new employer.

Return to “General”