This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can the person running a rental business be different from the owner?

pablo69
Can the person running a rental business be different from the owner?

Postby pablo69 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:35 pm

I own a property. My (unmarried) partner runs the rental business on that property and receives the profits from that business.

In the HMRC's eyes, can my partner be one who fills in the Self Assessment and pays Income Tax on the rental business? Or do I have to do this as I am the legal owner of the property?

bd6759

Re: Can the person running a rental business be different from the owner?

Postby bd6759 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:45 pm

You cannot grant an interest over land unless you have a superior interest. If your partner has no interest in the land, they cannot be the landlord or the person entitled to the rents. All they will be doing is acting on your behalf. The rents will belong to you.

You could grant them a lease with permission to sublease. Or you could pay them a reasonable amount (a wage or salary) for doing this on your behalf.

Return to “Property Taxation”