This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Small business rate relief on property portfolio

xenium
Small business rate relief on property portfolio

Postby xenium » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:56 pm

hi,
I am in the process of moving some rental properties from council tax to business rates, due to the tax rules on short lets (self catering holiday lets)

The first property has been moved, with rateable value of £2100 (as of next year), and this has been deemed exempt by VOA as it falls below the £6000 threshold for 100% relief.

Suppose I were to move more properties onto short lets, and consequently onto business rates, the rules seem to imply that for tax efficiency 3 properties is the optimal number, see google spreadsheet example here: tinyurl.com/hm3zryf

Is my calculation correct, eg for 4 properties on business rates, the rate relief would be (£12,000 - £ 8,400) / (£12,000 - £ 6,000) = 60% and this is applied to the total bill?

Clearly the threshold rules can change at any time, and there are many other factors to consider too, but I just wanted to check here if I have understood the calculation method correctly.

Many thanks

Return to “Property Taxation”