This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Freelance work on the side - No tax declared - please advise!

Georgia01
Freelance work on the side - No tax declared - please advise!

Postby Georgia01 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Hello
I work full time and pay tax/NI through my employer but have been earning a bit of extra money on and off by doing audio typing since 2011 (2014/15 no work was carried out) and to date have earned approx £5.5K My salary is £25K. I know I should have declared the tax in the first instance but I suppose I just kept pushing it to the back of my mind. If I did come clean, any idea (rough estimate) of how much I would have to pay back in tax/fines? I am already in a lot of financial difficulty so am fearful of getting in more debt and even more fearful of getting a criminal record.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Freelance work on the side - No tax declared - please advise!

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi

Certainly I would file a tax return for the income you have earned until date for 2011/12 and 2012/13 and 2013/14.

There could be penalties for late tax return and surcharge for late payment.

Normally late tax return penalty filing per annum is £1600. Surcharges 5% ......... + interest.

Always better to declare than get found out.

Don't worry unlikely HMRC would commence criminal proceedings

Kind Regards

GTA

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:54 am

To add, make a voluntary disclosure before HMRC come and ask. Penalties are directly linked to the nature of disclosure. A completely voluntary, unprompted disclosure risks penalties to a maximum of 15% of the tax due (and could be mitigated to 0%). If HMRC have to ask, the minimum penalty is 15%.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:14 am

Your tax return can't be late because you haven't been asked to complete one. So there are no late filing penalties.

The 0% and 15% penalties are for carelessly submitting an inaccurate return. These don't apply here either.

Your penalties will be for failure to notify (sch41 FA2008). These will fall into the range 20%-70% of the tax you have to pay. A full disclosure with ful co-operaion will see a 20% penalty.

You will also have to pay the tax and interest.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”