This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on training fees after leaving company

JacklMast
Tax on training fees after leaving company

Postby JacklMast » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to leave my current company and enter a new role with a new organisation.

I have a contract which states, if I leave within two years of completing the course I recently completed, I need to repay the course fee.

This is £18,000. I have recently been told that this will be £18,000 plus Vat. Firstly, is this correct?

My second question is; As my new company are going to cover this cost, they said they will give me a sign on bonus for this amount. As I would pay income tax on this, I assume this would mean they would need to give me the £18,000 plus the vat plus 40% (income tax). This puts the fee from £18,000 to in the region of £45,000!

Could my current employee invoice my new employee, thus cutting out the income tax? My new employee can then claim back the VAT.

Many Thanks

JacklMast

Re: Tax on training fees after leaving company

Postby JacklMast » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:38 pm

In regards to my last point, on further thought, this would not be possible.

The contract is between me and my current employer and therefore the new employer cannot assume responsibility.

RMC

Re: Tax on training fees after leaving company

Postby RMC » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:32 pm

VAT: Ask to see the invoice.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”