This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Setting up a company with a foreign partner

carolinehs
Setting up a company with a foreign partner

Postby carolinehs » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:04 pm

My brothers and I own two rental properties in the UK. I am a resident of Canada and my brothers reside in the UK.

We manage the properties ourselves and pay personal tax on income less expenses.

Recently it has come to our attention that it might be a sensible idea to form a company. We understand that the rents would be paid into the company, expenses taken from the company account, and we could receive an amount every year based on the amount earned. We understand that the company would pay tax at a lower rate than the individuals (my two brothers and me), and that we would pay personal tax on the amount we draw over and above the tax that has already been paid on that amount.

I am sure that this is grossly oversimplified. Does this sound reasonable, bearing in mind that I am resident in a foreign country?

Thank you.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Setting up a company with a foreign partner

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi

There is more to it than meets the eye and additional hidden costs that you may not have factored in plus additional taxes like Stamp Duty and CGT

You have to go through the maths to work out if it will be tax efficient. Though, unlikely it would be worthwhile for just two properties unless you are thinking of growing your portfolio

If you are resident in Canada than you would taxed on any dividends paid (in canada)

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Business Tax”