This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I qualify for primary residence relief

preview
Can I qualify for primary residence relief

Postby preview » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:08 am

If you purchase a BTL property and then later make it your main home would you qualify for any primary residence relief. e.g if the house was a BTL property for two years and then you remortaged it with a normal residential mortage and made it your home for 5 years, would the 5 years count for residential relief, and would you therefore get lettings relief for the earlier 2 years?

preview

Re: Can I qualify for primary residence relief

Postby preview » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:40 am

I should add, I should only get a BTL mortage so the house has been rented out. We have saved enough to allow us to now take out a residential mortage and move it. However, I am worried about CGT and PRR when we come to sell the property in the future.

pawncob

Re: Can I qualify for primary residence relief

Postby pawncob » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 am

Yes. PPR is a matter of fact. You'd also get Letting Relief.
The type of mortgage is irrelevant to taxation.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”