This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

mortgage not on buy to let property

rfullarton
mortgage not on buy to let property

Postby rfullarton » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:28 pm

hello i have a interest only mortgage on my main residence but let out my owned former private residence

i wanted to mortgage old residence but bank did not want to offer this ...

we renovated the new house whilst living in the old house , this makes timing of expenses tricky ...

my questions:

1) has anyone claimed the interest tax relief for another property for a buy to let property and what did u tell the hmrc ... should i give it a go ? should i provide notes on the set up or leave it blank ?
2) can i only claim interest for years that the property was available to be let ... i assume so .. if not should i try claiming back all years of interest charged ?
3) i was charged a fee for the mortgage 2 years before we started to rent out the property ... can i claim this in this years tax return ?

thanks

bd6759

Re: mortgage not on buy to let property

Postby bd6759 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:29 pm

What was the purpose of the loan?

rfullarton

Re: mortgage not on buy to let property

Postby rfullarton » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:44 pm

purpose on loan was to purchase new primary residence but the size of the loan allowed me to keep original property and rent this out.

so there was a dual purpose to the loan

Return to “Property Taxation”