This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can my parents and I revoke a trust

mobile
Can my parents and I revoke a trust

Postby mobile » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:19 am

My parents and I brought a property as joint tentants. After 2 years we had a trust drawn up which moved to tentants in common, 20% to me 80% to them as joint tentants. We didn't logde anything with the land registry.

We would like to revoke the trust and go back to being joint tentants, any idea of how we should do this. Can we just sign a trust ourselves saying we revoke the earlier trust?

Or could we amend the ownership so its 50:50, again I guess this would need a new trust drawn up. Are there any tax implications of doing either, I (along with my wife who isn't on the deed) live with my parents and we share the bills etc.

I would like some detailed advice so please feel free to private message me if you do offer consultantions.

pawncob

Re: Can my parents and I revoke a trust

Postby pawncob » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:30 pm

The ownership is still 50/50, and you're still joint tenants, unless you've notified the L.R. otherwise.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

mobile

Postby mobile » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:17 am

Hi

Not notified LR but we have a declaration of trust which states we have split the property 20 - 80, I own 20 my parents own 80. Is this not valid.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:44 am

Notification to LR is not necessary because of changes in underlying beneficial interests.

Changes in such interests can be made by a declaration of trust including revoking earlier made such declarations.

It appears that you each may qualify for private residence relief regarding any transfers.

SDLT may be in point if mortgages are involved.

mobile

Postby mobile » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:30 am

There are no mortgages involved.

Could we just sign the DOT amending the underlying beneficial interests ourselves or would we need a lawyer to do it. Are there any specific requirements to make a declaration of trust valid?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 pm

@maths:
I think LR still insist on Form A being completed to sever a joint tenancy. https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-owner ... -in-common
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

mobile

Postby mobile » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Another question - if I do increase my share of the property would this be treated as a gift from my parents? If so, would this be considered a gift with reservation and would it therefore remain as part of their estate, could I do anything to mitigate this?

maths

Postby maths » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:58 am

Normally on the acquisition of an interest in property and registration of legal title in the names of more than one person, LR will itself register a Form A restriction.

This could be checked with LR Proprietorship Register.

The initial transfer from joint tenants to tenants in common would constitute a gift with reservation for IHT purposes.

Similarly on the proposed subsequent transfer.

mobile

Postby mobile » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:02 am

That makes it insanely complex; the gift has gone from me to my parents and back to me. If we revoke the trust doesn't that mean the original transfer no long exists and we go back to our orginal position?

Is there anyway we can make this a gift without reservation?

Return to “Property Taxation”