This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on non-UK assets

neillp
Re: CGT on non-UK assets

Postby neillp » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:32 am

Hi, I would ask you the same question as King_Maker, let's put HMRC aside, do you think that a person that had made this investment, is any better off?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:20 pm

What is the gain for UK CGT purposes?
Being "better off" is not a tax concept and was not what you asked. CGT is based on assets, not on liabilities. The outcome of the transactions is that the person made a gain of 500K, and utilised that gain to pay a liability.

That is the simple fact. Whether on not anyone agrees with your analysis that it might not be fair is pretty much irrelevant.

neillp

Postby neillp » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 pm

No gain is required to pay off the liability, the asset has the same value as the liability the whole time.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Yes, but a liability is not an asset.
The capital gain is on the increase in the sterling value of assets.
It is unfortunate that this person also had a liability and needed more sterling to pay it off, but that liability has nothing to do with the gain.

Matthew P

Postby Matthew P » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:21 pm

On a big deal like this, HMRC's position makes sense. But for anyone who (like me) is resident in England but has most of my assets in $, it could make life very difficult.

Every time I convert $ into £, am I required to make a CGT calculation?

Beginning date:
And when do I value the gain from? You could say, from when the sum entered the bank account. But when was that? Money is like water, a bank account is a pool of funds indistinguishable by date of entry.

End date:
To probe further, which of these count as "end dates"?
(a) when a $ sum is moved from an offshore $-denominated account, to an onshore $-denominated account?
(b) when a $ sum in an offshore account, is converted into a £ sum, held in an offshore account?
(c) when a $ sum in an offshore account is converted into a £ sum, and immediately remitted to an onshore account?

Does HMRC provide comprehensive guidance on this issue?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:55 am

Money held in a bank account is not subject to CGT.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”