This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Evasion of 300k

PatienceIs
Re: Tax Evasion of 300k

Postby PatienceIs » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 pm

I am thinking of reporting someone else.
I undertook cleaning work for them.
I told them that I pay my taxes (there is a language difference) they went to lengths to tell me that they ask customers for payments then when the customer asks for an invoice they tell them that if they give an invoice they will have to ask for more money because of taxes, and the customer says "Okay, no need for invoice". They seemed to want me to work off the books.
They told me about lots of jobs they have for cash.
They told me about someone that worked for them previously regularly.

No way on gods green earth am I putting myself at risk to cheat the revenue and get in trouble, to be dishonest and why? So they can make extra money? I prefer to pay tax.

Weeks later I am still waiting to be paid.
Then they want to run round the houses, be difficult, and pretend it is because I didn't send an invoice.
It then took a further two hours to get their business address from them.
Looks like there is a Limited company in the husbands name.
No VAT number, so they must be keeping earnings below the threshold with this scam.

I reminded them that they stood and told me about their tax evasion and at the time I advised them that cash work is very risky and they should avoid doing it, and if they do do it, to never ever ever tell anyone. I could not believe they were telling me all those things when they barely knew me.

If this woman doesn't stop abusing me by text and email and being dramatic I will supply all the information to the HMRC. Then she can have something real to get in a state over. Asking to be paid for work I have done shouldn't be this taxing.
If people are going to break the law, tell everyone, then be abusive to the people they told it all to, they only have themselves to blame. If that money does not hit my bank account by 5pm today...

Strangest person I have ever done work for.
If she is like this with everyone, bragging about evasion then refusing to pay for services I doubt she will get away with it for long.
The good news is I got a job last Tuesday and wont have to be an honest citizen in a sea of scammers.
New employer will be paying the tax over for me before any money goes in my bank account.
Lovely.

jeja

Re: Tax Evasion of 300k (In this case more)

Postby jeja » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Three years after the first report went in, and two years after the HMRC were confirmed to have got quite interested in them, there is an update.

Giving the HMRC photos, numberplates, names, dates, places, methods, suppliers that colluded, customers, actual transactions, amounts where known, cash holidays and where booked, vehicles where bought for cash or large part cash, holidays, weekend breaks, home improvements such as an extension, conservatory, steam room, lifestyle etc (While claiming they only made a lot less than 20k a year profit) while employing people cash-in-hand and not paying taxes or giving employees any rights, enjoying legal aid, taking from the public purse while not contributing, and claiming tax credits and while funding a lifestyle of daily drinking and retail enjoyment... things are happening.

If you think it is not worth it to bother telling HMRC.
And when reporting you see no result and it feels like people like that get away with it?
Not quite. At least one person has to sell their house.
Looks like the HMRC act on the information afterall.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Thats reassuring news Just lets hope that its a criminal investigation with a prosecution at the end for the rotten apple in the barrel of easily led cookers. Did it give you any satisfaction Hope so and that you get your reward (in heaven if not on earth)
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Piatax

Postby Piatax » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:23 pm

We made a report to HMRC about someone in the building trade.
Included information about their materials supplier.
Report 2012.

1. 2013 Supplier entered voluntary liquidation.
Final statement included paying the HMRC 20 times the usual annual amount of corporation tax.
2. Builder has put his property up for sale.

Those two things may be linked to the report.
We wont ever know. Not our business to be told.
Give clear details of what you know.
Keep it simple.

Phoning a telephone line and saying "Joe Bloggs is doing work on the side" wont work.
Giving information about what you factually know to be happening and things that can be checked might.

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:18 pm

I am glad to hear that someone got done.

I reported a builder who lives near us, fancy car outside, big extended house etc wifey who does not work with range rover, 4 kids etc..and cash in hand work.

His luxury car has gone which makes me hopeful something has happened but who knows.

Also I don't think the government puts enough effort into telling new arrivals to this country that taxes need paying....

riccardob

Re: Tax Evasion of 300k (In this case more)

Postby riccardob » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Three years after the first report went in, and two years after the HMRC were confirmed to have got quite interested in them, there is an update.

Giving the HMRC photos, numberplates, names, dates, places, methods, suppliers that colluded, customers, actual transactions, amounts where known, cash holidays and where booked, vehicles where bought for cash or large part cash, holidays, weekend breaks, home improvements such as an extension, conservatory, steam room, lifestyle etc (While claiming they only made a lot less than 20k a year profit) while employing people cash-in-hand and not paying taxes or giving employees any rights, enjoying legal aid, taking from the public purse while not contributing, and claiming tax credits and while funding a lifestyle of daily drinking and retail enjoyment... things are happening.

If you think it is not worth it to bother telling HMRC.
And when reporting you see no result and it feels like people like that get away with it?
Not quite. At least one person has to sell their house.
Looks like the HMRC act on the information afterall.
What is actually happening to them though?
Are they selling their house?
Have they stopped going on holidays?
Have they been deported if they are foreigners? (This would never happen we know..).

You are not actually clear on whether they are suffering or not.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”