This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT and listed Barn conversions

Buianld
VAT and listed Barn conversions

Postby Buianld » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:14 am

Hi there, I am hoping someone might be able to offer some guidance. We arelooking to purchase a grade II listed barn for conversion into a single dwelling. Part of the conversion an old stable block that is connected is not listed. I understand the vat rules changed in 2012, but from what I have been reading elsewhere it seems that some works are charged at 5%? Could anyone offer some guidance please, does it make a difference if you run the project as a self build or ask the builder to potentially charge the lower vat rate

Many thanks for any help/guidance

pawncob

Re: VAT and listed Barn conversions

Postby pawncob » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:12 pm

If it qualifies, ask the builder to use lower rate. Self build probably isn't appropriate.
See 7.3 VAT Notice 708: buildings and construction - GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ential-use
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

les35

Re: VAT and listed Barn conversions

Postby les35 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:15 am

One issues that frequently arises with such developments is whether there is a 'restriction on use or disposal.' You will need to check the Planning Permission, etc for this. If there is such a restriction, the 5% rate cannot apply.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”