This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT Property disposal. Query about allowable costs...

m1key
CGT Property disposal. Query about allowable costs...

Postby m1key » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:05 pm

HI,

First, a massive thanks to you all. I've used this forum extensively over the years and have only now reached the point where I can't find an answer by searching (although I'm sure it will be hidden somewhere).

Here's the order of events...

2003 my now wife bought a flat as her primary residence.
2007 50% of the property is 'gifted' to me as her spouse, but I never ended up living in the flat as we promptly moved and let the flat out.
2015 we sell the flat

AIUI...
a) For CGT purposes I acquired the asset on the date of the 'gift' and the value is assumed to be 50% of the original purchase price (including all legal fees, stamp duty etc).
b) I am not liable for any PPR as it was never my Primary Residence.
c) I can include 50% of the costs associated with disposal (legal fees, estate agents fees etc) as additional 'allowable expenses'

This puts me just over my CGT allowance, so I have a relatively small amount of tax to pay.

The question:
1) Can I include the legal fees associated with the 'gifting' of the property as 'allowable expenses'?
2) If I can, I assume only 50% of the actual fees?

Many, many thanks in advance,

Mike

SteLacca

Re: CGT Property disposal. Query about allowable costs...

Postby SteLacca » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:16 am

I'd say that you can't claim any of the legal fees incurred in the making of the gift. These would be your wife's costs of disposal rather than your costs of acquisition. Since your wife has PPR available at that time, then there is nothing to relieve the costs against.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”