This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transfer rental income to wife for tax purposes

bud123
Transfer rental income to wife for tax purposes

Postby bud123 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Me & my wife own a flat (bought as a jointly owned property but I pay the mortgage as my wife doesn't and has never worked) and we may have made about £2,000 after deducting mortgage interest portion and other expenses from the rents received in the tax year 2015/16.

I am on the 40% tax band and on permanent employment paying PAYE and my wife is a non-tax payer at the moment.
We don’t have any other incomes.
I have now opened a tax file for my wife & planning to complete this by the end of the month.

Can I show this income under my wife in her returns? And not consider this as my income at all (I haven't got a file open also)? I prefer to do this.
Please advise.
Thanks

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Transfer rental income to wife for tax purposes

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi

In future, you can change the beneficial interest in the property so that your wife owns the majority share and pays the tax on most of the profit

Can a declaration of Trust drawn up and submit Form 17 to HMRC within 60 days.

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Property Taxation”