This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital gains payable?

LTester
Capital gains payable?

Postby LTester » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:55 pm

My father died in 2001 and left the family home in a Will trust to me and my four siblings. My mother lived on in the house until she died in Aug 2016. Me and my brother were named as trustees. The house has now been sold for £305,000 and is due to complete this month. As I understand it, we won't have to pay inheritance tax. The whole estate including the house at the time of my father's death was about £250,000. But now, I'm concerned that we may be liable for capital gains tax when the sale goes through. I've done a little bit of reading and it seems that the trustees are liable for the capital gains as the money will come to us first before being distributed to our siblings. But then the amount due to each sibling will be more than their individual cap gains threshold too. Very confused. Can anyone advise on this?

Lee Young

Re: Capital gains payable?

Postby Lee Young » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:32 am

CGT will be payable on the increase in the value of the property since the death of your mother. There is a tax free CGT uplift on death.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

bd6759

Re: Capital gains payable?

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:44 am

The gain accruing whilst your mother lived in the house is exempt. The value of the house on her death will not not be significantly different from the sale proceeds, so there should not be any CGT to pay.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”