This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Query regarding decleration of trust to spouse

MichaelPLloyd
Query regarding decleration of trust to spouse

Postby MichaelPLloyd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi all,

I have a property jointly owned by my wife and I, we will be moving out of the house and renting it. She doesn't work and I would like to pas the rental income to here. It has been suggested to do a deceleration of trust giving my wife 99 share so that she receives the majority of the income.

I've looked into this a bit further and have been informed to look at forms 41G setting up the trust and complete 17 to declare beneficiary interest.

Form 41G cover the Trust details, do I need to go through a solicitor or similiar professional or can I do it myself, which fields are appropriate if I can do it myself and need to declar the %.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _08_15.pdf

Once I have Form 41G completed I then goto Online Form 17 - Declaration of beneficial interests in joint property and income
https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/co ... ate=17.xdp

I assume because we have completed a 41G form regarding deceleration of trust where my wife now has 99% share and I have 1%, we therefore own the property in unequal shares and can complete Form 17?

Below is what they say are the reason for filling out this form,
When to fill in this form
You can use this form to declare a beneficial interest if you hold property jointly
and
• you actually own the property in unequal shares, and
• you are entitled to the income arising in proportion to those shares, and
• you want to be taxed on that basis.

Do not fill in this form about:
• income to which neither of you is beneficially entitled
• partnership income
• income from commercial letting of furnished holiday accommodation
• income from shares in a close company
• income which for tax purposes is treated as income of a third party, even if the income arises from property held in your joint names
• property held as beneficial joint tenants where you are both jointly entitled to the whole of the property and income
• property that is not held in unequal shares (you cannot choose to have the income taxed on an unequal basis because you think it would be to your advantage).

Any help, advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards
Michael

pawncob

Re: Query regarding decleration of trust to spouse

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:04 pm

You just need to submit Form 17. No trust is required, just a deed stating the beneficial interests.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”