This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Higher SDLT on family property in Europe?

Rose_1980
Higher SDLT on family property in Europe?

Postby Rose_1980 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:39 pm

Hello!

Last year, my uncle in Portugal kindly put a small family property into my name as a "doação" ("gift") i.e. no money changed hands. It has never been my main residence, as I'm British and have always lived in the UK (parental home/renting). This property has never been rented out, and we don't intend to sell it.

I am about to buy my first "real" property in the UK - and I'd like to be sure I'm paying the correct tax rate.

I have a tax document dated 2015 from the Portuguese Tax & Customs Authority, which lists the value of the property as being under €40,000. It is not the clearest of documents, but it is the only thing I have. (As, as mentioned, I never actually paid for the Portuguese property!)

Does this mean I am exempt from paying the higher SDLT rate??

If so, will I have to provide supporting documentation?

Any advice/guidance/comments gladly appreciated. Many thanks. :)

maths

Re: Higher SDLT on family property in Europe?

Postby maths » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Exemption would apply if at date of completion of new purchase the interest in the overseas property was below £40,000.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”