This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

First time tax return - Capital allowance calculation on vehicle

timerichcashpoor
First time tax return - Capital allowance calculation on vehicle

Postby timerichcashpoor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Hello

This my first tax return as self employed. My business mileage is quite low, aprox 3,000 p.a. so I guess that claiming capital allowances is better for me than the simple and I am trying to calculate the capital allowance on my car. I own it and intend to keep it, the value at the start of the business was £17,000. Am I correct in my reading of the HMRC guidelines that the amount is 18% (£3,060)?

Many thanks

Lambs

Re: First time tax return - Capital allowance calculation on vehicle

Postby Lambs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:30 pm

T,

Basically, yes, assuming your car's emissions are below the 130g CO2/km band (otherwise it's only 8% rather than 18%). But you need also to adjust the claim for any non-business, or "private use" as it is commonly called. So the maximum claim will be at 18% but if you use your car 50% privately then you will only be able to claim 50% of the allowance. If your simple calculation of 3,000 miles is based only on business mileage, it may yet prove to be the superior claim. Kind regards,

Lambs

timerichcashpoor

Re: First time tax return - Capital allowance calculation on vehicle

Postby timerichcashpoor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:38 am

Thank you, that is very helpful information and something I didn't spot when reading the HMRC site. I have checked and the car is 134g CO2 so as you you advise the simple method of calculating might be a better option, especially after the business proportion of use being taken into account.

Return to “Business Tax”