This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

PPR CGT Nomination

robbie_db
PPR CGT Nomination

Postby robbie_db » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 am

Hi All,

Are there any circumstances in which one doesn't have to nominate a property as your PPR for CGT purposes.

I have what was a rental property, which I owned for 10 years I ended up living in the property as my PPR for 2 years at the end of that 10 year period.
When I brought the property it was a shell. Uninhabitable. I understand such properties can be given PPR relief for the first 12 months even though you are not living there.

However, I didn't at the time nominate it as my PPR. It was later nominated as my PPR when I moved in in the last 2 years of ownership.

I'm wondering if there is any way of historically claiming that very first year from PPR relief?

Many Thanks

bd6759

Re: PPR CGT Nomination

Postby bd6759 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:02 pm

No. The property was not a residence at that time, so could not be your PPR.

A PPR nomination only applies when you have 2 or more properties in which you actually live.

robbie_db

Postby robbie_db » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi bd6759,

I know for a fact a property which is an uninhabitable shell can receive a PPR election for the first 12 months even though it can't be lived in. So you are technically incorrect there.

The question ultimately relates to whether I can utilise that despite the fact I didn't nominate it at the time?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:35 pm

That is not correct.

You are referring to ESC D49. This does no involve a PPR election. Relief will be given for a period of 12 months (exceptionally a longer period) if the delay in occupation is due to the house being built or repaired. The requirement is that the house becomes the residence at the end of that period.

This house did not become your residence, so ESC D49 cannot apply. Similarly, as it was not your residence, an election would not be possible. Even if it were, an election can only be backdated 2 years.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:49 am

When out of one's depth a little humility goes a long way.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”