This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

US Citizen Rating in England. How will my US Pension's be taxed?

EHC
US Citizen Rating in England. How will my US Pension's be taxed?

Postby EHC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:59 am

I am really confused. At 68 year of age moving to England and what tax obligations I will have is complicated for me. My wife is a duel U.K. And US citizen having been born in England and naturalized in the US m. I am US citizen and will remain a US citizen (always). I plan to retire in England with my wife but if I can't make the adjustment or if something were to happen to my wife I would return to the US. I plan to periodically return to the US regardless to visit family and friends.

My wife and I both get Social Security. Additionally I receive a US Army retirement, VA Disability Compensation and an annuity/retirement from the Texas Retired Teachers System (a state pension fund) from which I retired as a teacher (my second career).

What I specifically need to know is will the US, UK, or both tax each of the following:

1. VA Disability (non-taxable disabiyincome in the US).
2. US Army Retirement pay.
3. Texas Retired Teacher pension.
4. Social Security Income.

Also ....

If I have any of these pensions deposited to a UK bank account will that effect my UK and/or US taxation?

If I have it deposited to a US bank and then transfer funds to my UK bank account will that make a difference?

Are there any UK residency time requirements that pertain to the aforementioned with respect to taxation?

Are their any other problem areas I might encounter with respect to taxation that I am not aware of?

Who in the US and U.K. can I write to or email in an official capacity regarding the aforementioned?

Do you have any advice or recommendations to help me keep my tax situation in the U.K. to a bare minimum while ensuring I keep everything legal? As senior citizens and the high cost of living in the UK and fluctuating exchange rates us seniors on fixed incomes need to be very careful.

I know this is a rather lengthy information request but any verifiable help that you can provide will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,

EHC

Return to “Income Tax”