This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Ending self employment due to travelling, how do I avoid paying tax up front?

proonjooce
Ending self employment due to travelling, how do I avoid paying tax up front?

Postby proonjooce » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi,

I am self employed and have been for a couple years. I just filed my tax return for 15-16, this was my first year of being fully self employed. I noticed I not only have to pay the tax owed for that year, but also a payment towards the tax year 16-17, with the rest due at the end of July. I guess this is normal, and seems fine to me.

However, at the end of August this year, I will be going travelling for at least a year with my wife, where I expect to earn basically no income and will be ending my self employed business before I go. This leaves only the months April 2017 - August 2017 where I will be earning, which will almost certainly come underneath the taxable threshold, meaning I won't need to pay any tax for the 17-18 year.

However when I submit my tax return for 16-17, won't it try and make me pay towards an similar estimated amount for 17-18? Is there a way to say my tax for 17-18 will be basically 0 and not have to pay it up front? Do I need to prove this in some way?

Thanks for any help or advice!

GasEngineer

Re: Ending self employment due to travelling, how do I avoid paying tax up front?

Postby GasEngineer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:55 pm

There is a section in the tax return section 6 where you can reduce payments on account, giving a brief reason.

Return to “Income Tax”