This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Registering for self-employed and tax

Asitha
Registering for self-employed and tax

Postby Asitha » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi, I am planning to work as self-employed. Are registering for self-employed and registering for tax two things?
Moreover, I live in a rented house. If I register with the home address, would I have to play business rates for the address? If so, I would like to avoid it because landlord would not like the house become a business. What are other options? Thank you.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Registering for self-employed and tax

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:58 pm

No the same thing.

Business Rates is payable on non business properties. However depending on the type of business your landlord and neighbours may be too pleased if you sau have many visitors to the property, causes smell, mess etc. Lot of people are unaware - often there are covenants in the lease preventing business use in residential properties though in reality a lot of self employed use their property for some business use.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Registering for self-employed and tax

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Sorry I meant non residential properties where business rates apply

Return to “General”