This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift of a property from a UK Non Resident

tax-bill
Gift of a property from a UK Non Resident

Postby tax-bill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:15 pm

My client is a UK national who has been non resident for 10 years. He has just bought and gifted a 200K flat in the UK to his daughter. The flat is tenanted and she receives the income which will be subject to tax under self assessment.
1) Are there any other potential tax implications - such as IHT if my client dies within the next 7 years.
2) Does the position change if my client returns to the UK
3) Should either my client or his daughter document the gift with HMRC
Any input would be gratefully received.

Tax-Bill

maths

Re: Gift of a property from a UK Non Resident

Postby maths » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:29 pm

My client is a UK national who has been non resident for 10 years. He has just bought and gifted a 200K flat in the UK to his daughter. The flat is tenanted and she receives the income which will be subject to tax under self assessment.

1) Are there any other potential tax implications - such as IHT if my client dies within the next 7 years...........the gift is a PET for IHT purposes. Death of donor within 7 years may precipitate an IHT charge at 40% if nil rate band of donor has been exhausted.

2) Does the position change if my client returns to the UK........not re the potential IHT charge.

3) Should either my client or his daughter document the gift with HMRC........No, not necessary. Probably a good idea to simply have a letter to daughter stating that dad has made a gift.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”