This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK CGT and US VCI income

fasaxc
UK CGT and US VCI income

Postby fasaxc » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:46 pm

I bought some (initially unvested) shares in the UK company I worked at in 2010; then I moved to the US for 5 years. Meanwhile the shares vested. As the shares vested, I I had to pay US income tax on the difference between purchase price and vesting price (this is called VCI, I believe). I then moved back to the UK in 2015 and sold the shares in 2016. Can I claim some sort of deduction against the CGT on my UK taxes for the US VCI tax that I've already paid (the VCI tax is technically an income tax, I believe, not a CGT)? I'm worried that HMRC would see the gain from initial price to final price as the only relevant factor but then I'd be double taxed.

-Shaun

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”