This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax rebate issuse

Jay1970
Tax rebate issuse

Postby Jay1970 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi
I'm not sure if posting in the right place but am after a bit of advice.
In 2007-08 I was self employed, the year before I had some issues with my tax return - due to my accountant. So 07-08 I was told I couldn't use an accountant. I made an appointment and went into my local tax office armed with all paper work. The agent filled out my tax return and did all the calculations all I had to do was sign it. Got a rebate in July 2008. 2009 I was unemployed and on job seekers. Fast forward to 2016 my paye tax code jumps up and as well as this years tax they are taking £170 for a debt. I receive no paper work from them what's so ever. I call and am told in 2009 my self assessment was reassessed and I made more profit in 07-08. So they are reclaiming through my paye. I wrote to them querying the amount and heard nothing back. They will not tell me how they got the new figures or where this amount came from so 8 odd years on I'm paying it back. I don't believe I owe this money as like I said the lady in the tax office calculated my self assessment and then I heard nothing. Any advice greatly received
Thank
Jay

Return to “General”