This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on gifting BTL

jigjay
CGT on gifting BTL

Postby jigjay » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Hi

My mother and father jointly owned 3 BTLs with no mortgages.

My father passed away in 2015 leaving everything of his to my mother.

My mother plans to gift to me one of the BTLs as a PET in 2 years time.

As there is no mortgage on the BTL there will be no stamp duty incurred, however I am aware that she will be liable to pay CGT.

My question is regarding the CGT she pays.....

Will the whole CGT liability be calculated from when my parents purchased the property to when she gifted it me or........ will half of it be calculated from when it was purchased to when it was gifted to me (her half), and the other half from when my father passed his share to her to when the property is gifted to me (the half that she inherited from my father)?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

JigJay

maths

Re: CGT on gifting BTL

Postby maths » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:51 pm

CGT will be based on the difference between the market value of the property at date of gift less cost [cost is 50% of original purchase price plus the market value of the 50% left to mother at date of death of husband].

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”