This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Switching from dividend to self employment income

peter1234
Switching from dividend to self employment income

Postby peter1234 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:39 am

Hello,

I really need some help because I'm not sure what to do!
I'm a student and my loans and grants are assessed based on my 'unearned' income. Apparently this includes dividends and property income - I have a limited company and rent out my flat.

My total income therefore pushes me over the limit, which means I'll receive a lot less student finance than I had budgeted for.

Is there any way that I could declare my £11000 dividend income as self employed income? There's only a few days until the deadline and I haven't registered as self employed or registered for any national insurance contributions or PAYE personally or under the company.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't mind paying extra tax as I stand to gain about between £3000 and £4000 in additional student funding.

OhDear

Re: Switching from dividend to self employment income

Postby OhDear » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:05 pm

If you are director of a limited company and renting out property, then you must be registered for self assessment. You are aren't you?
Your company either did or didn't distribute cash to you as dividends. All that is supposed to be documented, though I understand one man ltd companies often neglect that aspect.
If the divi has not yet been declared, you could put yourself on the company payroll as as PAYE employee and use HMRC's basic payroll software to administer that. Typically you would pay yourself a modest salary such as to be just low enough to not pay NI. Unsure how the student funding comes into the equation.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”