This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

No tax return option after registering for SA (with activation code)

glenc
No tax return option after registering for SA (with activation code)

Postby glenc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Dear all,

I registered as a sole trader a few weeks ago (admittedly after the 5 Oct deadline) for some part-time petsitting I do (for tax year 2015-16).

Yesterday, I received my UTR and today my activation code.

However, when I log in with the activation code I am simply presented with a screen that says:

No tax is due at the moment
Make a Self Assessment payment
More Self Assessment details (opens in HMRC online)
Get another tax, duty or scheme
Find a tax, duty or scheme

There is no option to file a tax return (due today).

Although I believe I have already signed up for SA and as a sole trader, when I go to "find tax, duty or scheme" (to try sign up again), I am only presented with "Partnership" and "Trust" when trying to sign up as a sole trader.

Could it be that the system takes a while to acknowledge the activation code?
Any other reasons come to mind?

In any case I have learnt for next year not to leave it until 31.01!

Thank you,
Glen

SteLacca

Re: No tax return option after registering for SA (with activation code)

Postby SteLacca » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:43 pm

The Tax Return option will probably not appear until HMRC issue a notice to file, which will then have a 3 month time limit to file. However, you may be charged a penalty for the late registration.

Return to “Business Tax”