This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling second property bought for my parents

mellb
Selling second property bought for my parents

Postby mellb » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:40 am

3 years ago my parents moved from Staffordshire to be closer to us and the grandchildren in Suffolk. They were already retired and couldn't afford to live here, so my husband and I bought them (with a mortgage) a house near us, which they live in rent-free. The problem we have now is that they need to move to a bungalow and i think we will be liable for about £15000 CGT as the £50000 we spent on modernising the house can't be used to offset our liability as it was for replacement and maintenance, i.e. rewiring, complete new heating system, replastering, new kitchen, bathroom etc. With the new stamp duty rules as well, we would be £30000+ out of pocket and wouldn't have enough to buy a bungalow for them.
Is there anything I can legally do to reduce our cgt liability as it was a home for my parents and we've never charged rent or received any money from it?
Thank you

maths

Re: Selling second property bought for my parents

Postby maths » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Presumably although you say we bought our parents a property the beneficial and legal interests are held by you and your husband ie at the date of the purchase no declaration of trust was executed under which although you and husband hold the legal title you held it for your parents beneficially?

Assuming the above is correct then no private residence relief for CGT purposes will be available on disposal.

It may be that some of the expenditure incurred will qualify as increasing the base cost of the property.

Each of you will also be entitled to an annual exempt amount of £11,100.

mellb

Re: Selling second property bought for my parents

Postby mellb » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”