This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Complicated International Business Question

vikki_roberts
Complicated International Business Question

Postby vikki_roberts » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for any help in advance.

I have started an online t-shirt company which sells worldwide but mainly in the states. The income is currently deposited into my UK bank account.
Firstly sales tax- Do I have to pay VAT on UK sales? What about sales tax in the US even though I'm UK based?

I am a British citizen from birth but the last 2 years I lived and worked in the Bahamas and now in Turks and Caicos Islands and go back to the UK once a year for 2 weeks. I am happy to limit my time in the UK still further if there are advantages.

I haven't registered an official company anywhere (but can if advantageous).... do I have to pay tax even though the sale is happening abroad and online and I am also not in the UK? For example if I could block all UK sales (if necessary), no part of the transaction would be happening in the UK except I am getting paid into my UK bank account. Do I need to pay tax then?

I want to make sure I am doing everything completely perfectly, and have spent a long time researching these questions but it seems my living situation is different to most!

Thank you again!

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Complicated International Business Question

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:01 pm

There shouldn't be any Sales Tax since you do no have any physical presence

However, you pay taxes where you are resident. Though you seem to be located in a tax haven

Kind Regards

GTA

vikki_roberts

Re: Complicated International Business Question

Postby vikki_roberts » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21 pm

So I can get paid from my website into my UK bank account without paying tax or breaking any laws?

I wouldn't have to pay income tax?

Return to “Business Tax”