This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming tax back on a failed start up.

Josh1712
Claiming tax back on a failed start up.

Postby Josh1712 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello,
2 years ago I was in the process of starting up a small online business when I was offered a new position with a bigger company. This meant with the new work load and relocation I was unable to continue with the online business.
Because It wasn't launched and I had never made a sale or any income from it I never registered the business or myself for tax. But I had allready paid out for a lot of start up costs (small amount of initial stock, Website, trademark etc), I was wondering if I was able to claim any of the VAT back even if it never made a penny?
Long shot I know.

bd6759

Re: Claiming tax back on a failed start up.

Postby bd6759 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 pm

What happened to the stuff you bought?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Was it registered for VAT? If it was you should have already claimed the VAT back (or penalties will have arrived on your doorstep)
If not registered, it's too late.
Same for Schedule D.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Josh1712

Postby Josh1712 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Never registered for VAT as a figured it wouldn't earn over the threshold and the stuff I bought is in boxes in the loft.

Return to “Business Tax”