This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Class 2 NI and Unlinked Accounts

CG
Class 2 NI and Unlinked Accounts

Postby CG » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 pm

I have received a tax calculation which has deducted the Class 2 NI payment - apparently this happens when self assessment accounts and National Insurance accounts are not linked.

The person concerned has been self employed for many years and has not been paying Class 2 NI contributions when she should have been and she wants to rectify this. Once the self assessment and National Insurance records are linked, I have been told she will have the opportunity to pay for the last 6 years at the relevant Class 2 rate.

Is my understanding correct that beyond the 6 years if she were to pay she would not get the benefit towards her state pension?

Will there be any penalties applied and can they go back further than 6 years and demand payment?

The fact the accounts were not linked might explain why no demands for Class 2 NI were received.

Raffle

Re: Class 2 NI and Unlinked Accounts

Postby Raffle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:21 pm

See the attached - Q.25 and Q.25a may be of some assistance.

https://www.tax.org.uk/.../160615%20Age ... 02%20origi...

Raffle

Postby Raffle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm

If link does not get you there, google PDF 160615 Agent handout 2.

CG

Postby CG » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Raffle

Thanks for your reply - I am not able to open the link, please could you send another?

Many thanks

Raffle

Postby Raffle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi

sorry, yes I realised that as well, see google ref above.

CG

Postby CG » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Our replies crossed! I found it with google and it is very helpful.

Thanks Raffle.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”