This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SAYE ShareSave scheme - How much CGT?

EHammond
SAYE ShareSave scheme - How much CGT?

Postby EHammond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:32 pm

I earn £42k/year and have no other sources of income. I've never had to do a tax return as it's always been handled by my employer (last 20 years).

A few years ago I joined a company ShareSave (SAYE) scheme. Over 3 years, I saved £9k (ended Oct 2013). The share price had climbed significantly, so at the end of the scheme I selected to buy and immediately sell the shares. I received a cheque for £31800 (£22800 profit + my £9k savings). Rather naively, I assumed that tax was handled by the company and that there was no tax liability.

Can anyone explain how I calculate the tax I owe?

EHammond

Re: SAYE ShareSave scheme - How much CGT?

Postby EHammond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:33 pm

sorry, accidental duplicate. please ignore

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”