This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overage on Property

BigEddie
Overage on Property

Postby BigEddie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:52 pm

I am buying house for £420,000. The house has some land, about 1 acre. The land is landlocked and very unlikely to ever get planning permission and we do not want to develop it anyway, but there is an overage on the land and I can not get any information if this will attract extra stamp duty. Can anyone help clear the fog??

Incredulum

Re: Overage on Property

Postby Incredulum » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Tell us more about the "overage". Who pays whom what and when?

maths

Re: Overage on Property

Postby maths » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Overage payments are normally included as part of the general purchase price and therefore on which SDLT is payable.

Where the amount is unknown a deferral of the SDLT can normally be claimed.

Having said this I am by no means an expert on overage (but have never liked it).

Return to “Property Taxation”