This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT

jmadesignltd
CGT

Postby jmadesignltd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Dear sir's,
My wife would like to purchase the home she and her elderly mother live in from her brother-in-law for the mortgage price
and not the current market value. £300 Value £800K. The £500K would be a gift in equity.

The house was purchased at the start as a family home her brother-in-law was the only one could get a mortgage so it is in his name
although all mortgage payments and costs where paid by my wife and mother-in-law. The also spent considerable monies on renovation over the years.

What is the position with regards my brother-in-law will be be liable for CGT ? He will not be making any gain on the deal.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”