This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

corporation tax on stock????

nick.cheshire.1990
corporation tax on stock????

Postby nick.cheshire.1990 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi Everyone!

Little bit of advice please, i'm looking at going into business with my father. He has run a small independent punk shop/online store for a number of years, he has always kept it as a "sole trader" set up.

Now im looking at coming on board, he doesn't want to keep to the "sole trader" set up as he is in the 40% tax bracket. i have suggested becoming a limited company (i already am a director of another) however my father is concerned that you will still have to pay corporation tax on stock....

His concern is, if we have made £10,000 profit, then instead of taking this out of the company, we reinvest it into new stock, more lines of stock etc so the remaining profit is £1000. do we pay the corporation tax for the £10,000 or just the £1,000?

as a limited company the best way to go with this or could you advice an alternative method instead of being stung with the 40%?

pawncob

Re: corporation tax on stock????

Postby pawncob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Normal accounting rules apply. Stock in hand is deducted from purchases to obtain total deductible cost.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”