This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Class 2 NIC's

normp1
Class 2 NIC's

Postby normp1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:54 am

I recently completed my Self Assessment online and payed the tax due. When I reviewed the return it showed I still owed some Class 2 NIC's. I then payed this also. Further review shows I'm now in credit on the tax but the N.I is still due! Can't find a box to fill in on the return to allocate this sum to my N.I outstanding. Can anyone help? :o

robbob

Re: Class 2 NIC's

Postby robbob » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:54 pm

box 4.1 on page tc1 should contain the class 2 Ni figure, although hmrc automatically erase whatever you use and use whatever is on their "NI system" if there is a disagreement between the two technically speaking, one major exception to this rule is the quantum type nature of the voluntary class 2NI if your earnings are below the threshold but you chose to pay voluntarily - this will appear on the calculation - but if you havent paid it by the due date it will then be removed and you will separately need to contact the NI department to arrange payment

Apologies if this is confusing explanation but it is rather confusing at times - and your question of sorts isnt exactly clear to me if you are asking what i think you are asking.

If its voluntary NI that may be the reason for the credit now if you paid in feb I.e the liability was there but has now vanished - in which ring em up and ask to be put through to class ni team and ask for 18 digit reference and bank details so you can make payment.

I thought Schrödinger's cat must be nonsensical rubbish the first time i heard it but it seems to have stood the test of time and the same may apply for this silly NI yes no guessing game, i guess we may need George C Knee to crack this one.

SteLacca

Re: Class 2 NIC's

Postby SteLacca » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:49 am

For info, where HMRC remove Class 2 (non-voluntary) from a correct Return to make it incorrect, you can object to their amendment citing TMA 1970 S 9ZB as authority. Don;t be fobbed off by them telling you that you have to call NICO, or anyone else. It's the HMRC unilateral amendment to your Return that you are objecting to, and so sod all to do with anyone else.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”