This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension contribution without earned income

Paul Harris
Pension contribution without earned income

Postby Paul Harris » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Would greatly appreciate confirmation whether I have this correct (I have searched HMRC/FAQs/Posts but am still unsure…)

In the last 4 years I have received no earned income, but I have received rental, interest and dividend incomes.

I understand I can contribute £3,600 gross to my SIPP account each year (I have not done so).

Am I right, I can I carry forward the last 3 year’s allowances (3 x £3,600) and add the one for the current year (£3,600) and thereby contribute £14,400 gross today? (£11,520 net of 20%)

Thank you…

RMC

Re: Pension contribution without earned income

Postby RMC » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:49 pm

Afak you can contribute to a pension scheme as much as you like, but without earned income tax relief is only on £3600 (net).

JOHNRE

Re: Pension contribution without earned income

Postby JOHNRE » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:59 am

Hargreaves Lansdown recently informed my wife that she was unable to access the Carry Forward rule because, as a non earner like you, she will not have contributed the maximum £40K in the current year. Very frustrating,

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”