This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Am I liable to pay income tax in the UK if I move money to the UK to repay my student loan?

TheBigDoog
Am I liable to pay income tax in the UK if I move money to the UK to repay my student loan?

Postby TheBigDoog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:54 pm

I recently moved to the US started working.

Been trying to figure out the best way start repaying my student loan based on minimising the fees I have to pay.

Currently, I think the best way is to transfer money from my US bank account to my UK bank account and making my repayments from there. If I paid directly from the US I'd get charged an additional 1.50% fee on top of a crappy exchange rate.

Does anybody know if transferring money to my UK account to pay off the loan would then make me liable to pay UK tax on that income?

bd6759

Re: Am I liable to pay income tax in the UK if I move money to the UK to repay my student loan?

Postby bd6759 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 pm

There is no tax liability on moving money like this.

Return to “Income Tax”