This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Becoming a Sole Trader and moving out of the UK

Kasper9
Becoming a Sole Trader and moving out of the UK

Postby Kasper9 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Hello!

I have a tax related question there and would appreciate any words of wisdom!

OK, here we go: I have been living and working full time in the UK for more than a year now. However, due to my profession (online marketing) I plan to leave the UK and start traveling around the Europe. I will not become a tax-resident in any other country, I will be spending just 2-3 months in each one, not gaining a permanent residency.

My plan is to become a freelancer that serves UK- located clients mostly.

Could you advise me whether becoming a Sole Trader in the UK, setting up a business bank account (while I am still living there) would be a good choice? Would I be able to pay taxes in UK, even though I would not have a permanent address there anymore?

I would appreciate any help. If you need any more information, please let me know!
Thank you in advance.

Kasper

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Becoming a Sole Trader and moving out of the UK

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:57 am

Hi

You may end up as a tax nomad and not pay tax anywhere on the other hand under the Statutory Residency Test end up being resident in the UK.

Remember the SRT looks at significant ties as well

Once Residency is established you could look at Sole Trader but you would need a UK address or a Limited Company

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “International Tax”