This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT - use of trusts to maximise CGT annual exemption between spouses

Berts
CGT - use of trusts to maximise CGT annual exemption between spouses

Postby Berts » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:35 pm

My two siblings and I own a building plot on which we expect to get planning permission. We would then sell it and realise a capital gain in excess of our combined annual exemptions. We are considering sharing the ownership with our respective spouses through a deed of trust. The total property value will then be split between us with each having a beneficial interest.

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm if we can utilise a trust so that all six of us will receive the full Capital Gains Tax annual exemption of £11,100. I've read that trustees of some trusts are only given an annual exemption of £5,550.

Many thanks

maths

Re: CGT - use of trusts to maximise CGT annual exemption between spouses

Postby maths » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 pm

I've read that trustees of some trusts are only given an annual exemption of £5,550.
This applies to what are referred to as "settlements" for CGT purposes.

What you are proposing to do is to make use of a bare trust which is not a settlement.

With a bare trust it is the beneficiaries of the trust who are liable to CGT on a sale of the trust property, not the trustees.
Hence, each of you get an annual exempt amount.

You need to be sure that the gain on sale is subject to CGT and not income tax.

Berts

Re: CGT - use of trusts to maximise CGT annual exemption between spouses

Postby Berts » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:50 am

Many thanks maths, that is incredibly helpful

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”