This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

GCT inherited let property

RebFL
GCT inherited let property

Postby RebFL » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi there,

In Aug 2008 my mother died, leaving the flat we both occupied (she owned) to me. The following month I went to university. I only formally owned the property by Jan 2009 and in April I let the property out permanently. I sold the property Aug 2016 and never lived there.
Am I correct in thinking I am entitled to residence relief from the period of Jan 2009 until April 2009 (+18 months) in addition to lettings relief for same amount? Even though I wasn't technically living in the property, I owned no other property during this time. I would assume university counts as a qualifying 'period of absence' and up until the point I actually let out the property, the flat could be considered my 'main residence'?

Thanks for your help!

bd6759

Re: GCT inherited let property

Postby bd6759 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:20 pm

A house can only be a residence if it is actually your residence. The term "only" in the phrase "only or main residence" does not mean "the only house you own". It means "the only house you live in." If it was never your residence from the time you acquired a interest in it, residence relief will not be due.

RebFL

Postby RebFL » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:56 am

A house can only be a residence if it is actually your residence. The term "only" in the phrase "only or main residence" does not mean "the only house you own". It means "the only house you live in." If it was never your residence from the time you acquired a interest in it, residence relief will not be due.
Hi there,
I understand that, however I'm asking if it can be classed as my main residence, since university could be considered a qualifying reason for living away from home, with the thought that I would return there as my main residence during holidays etc.?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:19 pm

But you didn't return there during holidays.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”