This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT Building Plot in our garden

dodger
CGT Building Plot in our garden

Postby dodger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Good Afternoon,

I hope someone can help.

We have lived in our house with our children for 20 years, in total the house and garden is 400 square meters, we have obtained planning permission to build a small 3 bedroom house in our garden.

We would like to gift the plot to our two children one aged 18 and the other aged 23 as this would be the only way they would get on the property ladder in the South East.

I understand the IHT rules as far as the 7 years, but would we have to pay CGT as we as parents would not benefit financially, in fact probably loose a bit on the price of our own house.

Our children intend to live in the new house and not to sell in the next few years at least. We would also carry on living in our house.

We would loan them the money for the build without interest to be paid back as a percentage of what they earn.

Thank You

pawncob

Re: CGT Building Plot in our garden

Postby pawncob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:22 pm

With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

dodger

Postby dodger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Thank you, I fully understand the link, but it is the gift part to our children I'm not sure about?

dodger

Postby dodger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:46 pm

I understand that the plot could be an asset which we are disposing of even though it is our garden, so could be subject to CGT by reading information on websites?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:25 pm

The garden counts as part of your home, so it's also exempt.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”