This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

***CAPITAL GAIN TAX / sold property abroad /dual citizenship

super1

Postby super1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Hello
I hope someone had a similar situation or is familiar with that sort of issue, any help, advice appreciated…

I live in the UK, and I want to sell my house abroad. However I am not sure if I really should pay capital gain tax in my case as:
- the piece of land I received many years ago as a gift from parents in Slovakia
- over many years I built a house on it, never rented it, never lived there
- I live in the UK, having a dual citizenship, however I don’t own any property in the UK, I live only in a rented place and my house built in Slovakia is my only own property, so I really don’t understand why should I pay capital gain tax to HMRC at all if I want to sell it 28%!

Can anyone advice, or share experience what to do ? Thanks

maths

Re: ***CAPITAL GAIN TAX / sold property abroad /dual citizenship

Postby maths » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Capital gains tax is chargeable on any capital gain made on sale of the property (as you never lived in it) and you are a UK resident.

How long have you lived in the UK ?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”